Sunday, August 13, 2006

Of all the things granted to us by wisdom, none is greater or better than friendship

'Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love'. How true is that? I am blessed to have some truly fabulous friends, all a little eccentric in their way; all divas in the true sense of the word - Divine, Intuitive, Vital women with Attitude!

This weekend I celebrated my 41st birthday. I celebrated with a bunch of friends, who have spanned my life, some I have known for over 30 years, some for less than 30 weeks. All valued, loved and hugely important in my life. We share many stories and experiences - good, bad and ugly - and we have supported each other through the crafting of our lives. Thank god for friends - how would we exist without them?

I love this snippet from The Prophet (Kahil Gibran) - a gift from my best friend:
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and the sharing of pleasures.

Well, thank you my beloved friends, for this weekend we shared many lovely pleasures (including vodka jellies and chocolate cake), much laughter, rather a lot of pink bubbly and the joy of being alive, fabulous and 41.

41 and utterly fabulous! I think the old saying that life begins at 40 is absolutely true for me. I had a life full of great adventures before 40, but now after years of soul searching experiences, I finally feel like I have become the person I was always meant to be. The person that I was at age six - a wild, creative, smart, sassy, wise, bodacious, succulent, maverick child. Somehow that all got dumbed down when I tried to be the perfect daughter (which I never have been - how could I?). Now I have given up trying to be the perfect daughter. Now I am just the perfect ME.

It has been a truly wonderful weekend. I am one very tired and very happy Diva!

No comments: